Monday, March 14, 2011

First Batch of Unscented Soap - Success! (Mostly)

SOAP!
Check out this awesome unscented soap I made this weekend! What an incredible learning experience; I'm already planning on what I will do differently for the next batch.

This soap is made with Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, and Palm Oil. The recipe was for a small batch, very small, and it yielded 3 bars of soap approximately 5 ounces each.

I had decided that for my first batch I would re-use a large shampoo bottle as the mold, so I painstakingly cut the top off of the shampoo bottle so I could achieve these lovely round bars. The only problem with this idea was I didn't plan ahead on how I would extract the soap from the mold when I was finished!



Shampoo Bottle Mold
The only way to rescue my soap was to cut the shampoo bottle away one piece at a time.  Big mistake not to line the bottle with anything; I'm not sure why I thought the soap would just glide out of the mold.

After battling with the shampoo bottle I decided it would be a good idea to invest in a durable wooden soap mold. I ordered this 2lb wooden mold from Bramble Berry and I can't wait for it to arrive!

The Verdict on Batch 1
Overall I'm happy with the way the soap is looking so far, being my first batch and all, and I'm going to have to be patient for the next 4 weeks while these bars cure. Until then, I'm going to keep at it and make some more soap as soon as my new mold gets here. After this first batch I have a list of things I want to improve on - back to the soap lab!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment